Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Inspired and Mentored By My Elementary School Teacher.




FreMo Elementary School- Frank




To enroll school was something I wished so badly. I envied my elder brothers and sisters every day when they set off to school. I wanted to leave the boring home, despite the fun with my younger sister. At home, we could play, have meals early and then enjoy too much sleep anytime of the day. I had no idea what and how the school culture would look like, but I admired them all; the uniforms, the books, pens, and assignments that were brought from school by my older siblings. It is, for this reason, I found my way to the school before my time and ended up being an underage candidate by the time I completed my studies in primary education and secondary education.

My first experiences at school were not only frightening but also sickening. The few first days seemed so peculiar and precarious. For the first time since my anxiety to join the school, I regretted dearly and was late for me to come to appreciate the quiet and lovable environment at our home, "east or west home is the best to be", so they say. Anxiety, fear, and uncertainty all compounded made me vulnerable and therefore I desired nothing than home and mama. I craved my freedom back, my unlimited sleep quicker and my familiarization of my former comfort zone forthwith. But soon things changed drastically for the better. This came from the most expected quarters, my elementary teacher. She exhibited the calmness, motherly and caring attitude for us who were scared to run faster from school. She knew what we little beings wanted and was aware ahead of our insecurities with the anxiety, hopelessness, and helplessness we were all going through in our hidden hearts yet visible from our faces. She captured my prison and welcomed me to her class. She supervised with inspiration. She guided without disdain and above all she made me forget my mother those school moments. Teacher Prisca gave to me the confidence that my parents was undertaking, teaching and instilling in me tenderly at home. She guided with a tough yet a warm hand. She was the mother in class, the coach in physical education and the guide in class work with love full of compassion. She made all of us in her class to feel potential and to discern our purpose and consequently, we knew exactly what would be the school roles for us and its demands and expectations. She opened our hearts to receive and embrace both sides of  formal education that were to enlighten and purge ignorance from us to make us better and in the end better the community and its dysfunctional systems. 

Possibly, it's because of her that I came to admire and love education with equal measure. As time went by my grades rose steadily and that deep faith and yearning for more education rose steadily and school became normal, loving and wanting. Madam Prisca taught and inspired us the virtues of kindness, respect for authority and the need to be hard workers so as to succeed and achieve. Again and again, she instilled the self-belief and the self-esteem that could be a pillar of formal education, when I self-examine the little confidence I personify, she had a stake. She knew if she did not have faith in us then the expectations from home were nothing less of an evaporator. 

In fact, very few teachers came after to rise above our idolizing her. She was a human being, a motivator, mature, tender, loving and all these summed up the desired educator in any given place, time or level. Many times I have been asked who my best teacher would be. I don’t feel a betrayal or mean to none when without doubt reality strikes. I would recommend her to my son and daughter and I think you could as well. This is my hope and faiths for our teachers as they mentor, guide to inspire the little children not only at our elementary school but also to the little children all over the world.
http://www.fremobirthcentre.com/
Moffat Osoro
Founder Member
FreMo Elementary School



No comments: